Decorating with ABCs & 123s

Decorating with letters is a hot thing right now, but it's not a new thing. Think of antique samplers, baby quilts, hand painted signs, and monograms. As I was looking around my house today, I realized I have several antique pieces where letters are the feature. I'm not usually a huge fan of pewter, but I love this alphabet mug. My mom has the plate that matches. I purchased this alphabet plate at an antique fair. I think it was about $8.00...others had passed it up because it had been repaired, but I think that's a sign that someone really loved it. We don't repair things that aren't really special to us.
I love old books. I recently purchased this from my neighbor's yard sale for $2.00. I love the font on the cover.
And it gets even better inside. Wouldn't this look awesome painted on a wall or dresser?

I also have a soft spot for vintage and antique silver, especially ones that are monogrammed. I have a family piece that's dated 1870 on the back.

I've heard people say that monogrammed linens are less valuable because most people don't want the monogram of someone else, but I love them. This napkin set happens to have my married initial (it was a wedding gift to my husband's parents), but I buy pieces with any sort of monogram.
This is a vintage sign from Germany (where I spent my childhood), but it would be easy to make something like this for your own restroom in whatever language you want. It let's people know you may want to knock before entering...
Does anyone else love old labels? They really knew how to make things of quality back in the day, right down to the brand marks.
The numbers and writing on things like antique scales are equally beautiful. I love when something that was meant to be utilitarian has an artistic quality to it.
So, get out those monogrammed linens, baby cups, signs, and samplers and put them on display. Generations of stylish people just can't be wrong.

Miss Mustard Seed