Craft Experiments & Happy Accidents

I have been very inspired by the decorating blog community, so I've been working on some "craft projects" for our new shop. Now, when I think of crafting, I think of dolls made out of clothes pins or stenciled duck napkin rings. There is a whole new world of quality and creative crafts out there, now. If you have any doubts, just check out Etsy! I think these people are artists, not crafters. So, now that we've gotten past the whole craft thing, let me show you what I'm working on.
I am in love with antique and vintage banners made out of glittered letters. Every time I see them in a magazine or antique shop, I just love the fanciful nature of them. The problem is they are expensive. Very expensive. So, I've been thinking for a long time about making one myself. This is my first attempt. I cut 7" letters in a font called Story Book using my Cricut (great tool and I don't even scrapbook.) I then used several coats of spray glitter and Krylon Glossy Poly. I punched holes in the top corners of the letters and tied them together using shear blue ribbon.

The look is great, but the process needs a little tweaking. First of all, I'm going to try to find some real glass glitter online. Nothing sparkles like real glass glitter. Second, I need to use a heavier card stock, so letters like "W" don't flop around. It's getting there, though. I think these will be popular for little girl's rooms or to display during the holidays. I think they will look so sweet in our shop!



The second thing I worked on was making some magnets for our magnetic/chalkboard wall in the shop. I bought some rhinestone flowers, buttons, wooden animals, paper flowers, and a few other things to try. I used a glue gun to attach a round magnet to the back of the rhinestone flowers and thought I was through with those. As I went to work on the paper flowers, I realized they would just get torn apart when you tried to pull them off the magnetic surface...hmm. What to do? Then I noticed that there was an empty space in the center of the rhinestone flowers and I forgot to buy a center for them. Ah ha! Put the paper flowers on top of the rhinestone ones and ta-da!

I love how they turned out! I don't think I could have planned it out better.

So, I took them into the shop last night, all excited to stick them to my magnetic wall and...they didn't stick. I knew they worked, because they stuck to my fridge. They were just too heavy for the magnetic pull in the wall. Sigh. So, I was resigned to the fact that I would have to stick them to the radiator cover or something. But, another happy accident happened today that has given me a perfect way to display these! What is it? You'll see...

I've got a great giveaway coming up, so keep checking back.

Miss Mustard Seed