the mural that started it all

I am such a bad blogger.  I've been so busy on other things that I forgot to announce the winners of Miss Mustard Seed's Wuslu Pick of the Month (the small pedestal with glass cloche) 


 
The winners are...
Miss Kitty of Miss Kopy Kat

and
Melanie, anonymous, but left an e-mail. 
Congratulations!  Yasmin from Wuslu will be contacting you about your prize.


About 3 1/2 years ago my friend, Laura Dreyer (who also painted Adele for me), came over to my house to help me out with a project.  I wanted to paint a mural in my son's nursery.  After looking through children's books for a few months, I settled on a page from Guess How Much I Love You.  It's a beautiful story with illustrations that are perfect for a mural.  So, we took an afternoon and she painted the hares and I painted the scenery. 


As we painted, chatted and sang along to the musical Wicked, a thought came to my mind.  "I could do this...for other people.  This could be my business." 



I had never thought of myself as a painter, but I enjoyed it and it felt natural to me.  I kicked the idea around in my head, but didn't feel confident to take the plunge.  My mom finally pushed me into it (thankfully) and my family supported me and Mustard Seed Creations was born. 

 


This eventually evolved into Mustard Seed Interiors.  I don't paint murals anymore and my focus has now shifted to my true passions - antiques, decorating, refurbished furniture, writing and photography. 

I never wanted to paint over that mural, though.  It's so sweet, first of all, but it's also a reminder of the spark that eventually led me here.  So, in my office makeover project, I decided to cover it instead of painting it.  It's still back there, but it's now covered in pine tongue and groove paneling.  I finished it when it was dark, so I don't have any photos, but here's how it started.  

 


I needed to create a "faux wall" to cover the door frame, so I used 1 x 3 pine boards as "studs." This way, the wall can easily be removed if we (or a future owner of the home) want to use the doorway again.
I got to pull out the big guns for this project and I did it all by myself.  I'm pretty proud, I must say. 



I'll share more soon.  I also finished a couple of dressers over the past few days and will be delivering them and a few other things to Lucketts tomorrow.  I was pretty cleaned out last weekend, so it's time for a refill. 

...and so it goes...