getting a craft/office space organized

I recently went through the process of cleaning out my craft room/office.  I still have a few finishing touches to complete, but the hard part is done.  I've organized and reorganized my office many times, but I finally came to the realization that I didn't have an organization issue, I had a "stuff" issue.  Too much stuff, to be exact.  I was trying to "fit ten pounds of flour into a five pound sack." 



The result was an office that was always messy and cluttered and impractical and impossible to work in.  I had no incentive to keep it cute or clean, so it was chronically a disaster.   




The first step was sorting.  This took hours.  It was the kind of work that was hard to get motivated to do.  I would just sit and stare at the stuff piled on those wire shelves and just wanted to walk out of the room and close the door, but we got through it.  Here are some tips if you need to clean out your "cloffice" as someone on Twitter called it.  (Who was that?)




Focus on one small section at a time.

If you look at the entire crafty/creativity bomb as a whole, it will be overwhelming.  I worked on just one shelf at a time, so my progress could be easily measured and I had a logical place to stop when I needed a break. 




Work with a friend.

I had Mini Mustard Seed to help me and she was tough.  She saw the clutter for what it was and helped me think through decisions as well as how to reorganize things. Overwhelming work is easier with an extra set of hands and it's also more fun. 



Watch an episode of a hoarding show.

I say this seriously.  If you're like me, you are a prime candidate to become a hoarder.  I see potential in almost everything and I don't like to get rid of things I might need down the road.  I also don't like the thought of having to buy something in the future that I got rid of.  When you watch a hoarding show, pay attention to the excuses people make about why they can't get rid of something.  While cleaning out my office, I found myself saying things that could've been on one of those episodes.  "I keep these broken dishes, because I want to make a mosaic out of them."  It sounds harmless enough, but I've had them for about seven years.  That mosaic project isn't going to happen and those broken dishes are just taking up space.  The truth is, I was holding onto those dishes because I was really sad they broke.  I needed to admit that and let go of that emotional baggage, small as it was.   I donated or trashed about 60% of what was in that room, because I really didn't need it. 




Keep what you REALLY use.

I love having a great stash of paper, ribbon, paints, fabric, feathers, glue, glitter...anything that I might need for a project.  The truth is, my office was so cluttered that I would just go out and buy what I needed for a project, because I didn't know I already had something that would work.  I was so busy keeping things I thought I *might* use, that I couldn't get to the things I really *needed* to use.  Getting rid of the superfluous craft stuff has made my space functional and I thnk it will save me money in the long run. 


Set limits.

I will only have fabric that will fit in my mirrored armoire, unless I buy it on a bolt for a specific project.  I will only have paper that will fit in my paper drawer.  You get the idea.  I've set limits for myself, so it doesn't get out of hand again.  This means I have to change the way I shop and try to only buy exactly what I need and not extra stuff to have "on hand."



Allow for overflow

There were things I needed to keep, but I didn't need them in my office.  Things that were seasonal or only used a few times a year were moved to the basement.  I know not everyone has that luxury, but put excess in an attic, under a bed, in a closet or dresser.  Just get it out of your way, so you can work unhindered by things you rarely use.   




Make it pretty. 

You (we) are more likely to keep a space beautiful if it's...well...beautiful.  I put the pretty things on display in furniture and containers that are my style.  It's functional, but looks nice, too.  It's a great incentive for me to keep it clean and tidy. 



Contain.

Group like things together and use containers like crazy.  Plastic bins, wire locker baskets, zipper bags, and pitchers keep everything contained.  It also reinforces the "setting limits" rule.  And it just looks and functions better.  You don't have to spend a fortune on this stuff, either. I used empty baby wipe containers, shoe boxes and glass jars until I could afford storage solutions I liked better. 

Lastly, remember stuff is just stuff.

As I had much angst over getting rid of a huge pad of beautiful scrapbook paper that I used once, I had to remind myself that having a great office to work in was much more important than that pad of paper.  The stuff has been gone for a few weeks and I haven't missed any of it.  In fact, I'm now ready to wage war on my basement to get that space clutter free and organized. 

I realize I'm not offering any advice that's revolutionary, but I hope it's helpful and inspiring to you to get your work space cleaned out, too.