the battlefield

My posts are almost always home/furniture/blog/DIY related, but as I shared yesterday, we spent a morning at the Gettysburg battlefield as a family, so I thought I'd share some pictures from that  We live about 6 miles from it, so it's an easy thing to do on a nice day.  As we drove to our first stop, we were pleasantly surprised by a cavalry reenactment. 




My husband is a huge Civil War buff/dork, so he was excited to see it.  I have an interest in history, so I must say it was pretty cool.  There was something powerful about seeing 20 or so horses with riders dressed in Civil War uniforms, galloping down a field with flags flying and sabres drawn. 








So, after the charge, we drove to climb the tower by the Eisenhower farm. 





There are my boys, headed toward their "mission." 


I will state that I am not scared of great heights, but I am scared of falling from great heights and I am scared of man-made towers on windy days.  Not wanting to impose my fears on my boys, I kept my mouth shut and my shaky legs to myself. 





My older son said he "could see the whole world from up there."



My husband started pointing at landmarks and showing the boys where "the north smoked the south."  (Our families are from Virginia, so I don't want to hear any grief from southerners.)





They were fascinated and enjoyed it.  We also went to Devil's Den, but it started raining, so our outing was cut short.  The boys did have a chance to play "Bear Grylls" on the rocks for a little bit, though.  It was nice to get out of the house and to take picture of things other than furniture and projects and rooms. 




This week, I'm going to share more of my office makeover, dish all about my camera, lenses and favorite PSE actions and I have a Stella and Dot giveaway coming up at the end of the week.