Chronic Disorganization

The show Hoarders is fascinating to me.  People crying over garbage being thrown away.  Someone living in a home where a cat skeleton (or several of them) goes unnoticed for years.  It's just interesting.  I think a part of me finds it interesting because I see a little of myself in it.  Just a teeny tiny bit.  I like stuff.  I like my stuff.  I see potential in almost everything and I have a tough time getting rid of things.  I know you wouldn't believe it with the amount of furniture and cool antiques that leave my home each week, but it is tough.  I always have to fight the desire to keep everything I like or might want later or might need or might regret selling or giving away. 

This brings me to my current project...cleaning out my office.  If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might be thinking, "Didn't she clean out her office a few times already?"  Yes.  I have.  A bunch.

 Exhibit A:


But this is a space that I just can't keep clean. 

Exhibit B:



...and C:

Why is my vacuum always sitting in the middle of the room?  Hm.  Anyway, it's like a glorified closet and dumping ground. Well...I'm sick of it. So, this time, I'm not organizing...I'm purging. Majorly purging. Mercilessly purging. I've been working on it with Mini Mustard Seed (my intern, who happens to treat me like I'm a hoarder) for a couple of days now and I've been reducing the amount of stuff by about two thirds. I'm pretty proud of myself. Things I use seasonally or on rare occasions are getting moved to the basement, which is also getting a good cleaning.  I'm pitching anything that I'm not going to use and I donated a bunch of my painting books, mural supplies and home decor stuff that isn't my taste.  It's tedious, but coming along nicely so far. 

Here's my vision (I wish I had the technical ability to put together an inspiration board)...

There is an awkward door that we have blocked off, but not covered or removed.  We don't want to remove it, but I would like to cover it with a tongue and groove paneled wall treatment that can be removed, if desired.  I will then paint the entire room in a soft white with bright white trim.  A blue/gray French armoire, mirror fronted dark wood armoire and a white washed primitive cupboard will store the things I use all the time.  A farm table with a wall-hung bead board cabinet positioned over it will be my main work surface.  I want the space to be beautiful, function and a place that inspires.  I'll definitely keep you abreast of the progress made.

If you're interested in some up-to-the-minute details, you can follow me on Twitter at @missmustardseed

One final thing...I have finally decided to switch my blog over to Word Press, so my URL will change and the look of my blog will be a bit different.  I'm working with the same designer, so my overall look will remain intact.  The move is supposed to be seamless, but I wanted to let everyone know in case anything funky happened.  My new URL will be www.missmustardseed.com.  I'll definitely keep you posted and you will hear my panicked cries for at least a 382 mile radius if something goes horribly wrong.