So You Think You Can Decorate - Week 1


It's finally here!  Week one of So You Think You Can Decorate presented by Alchemy Junk.  I've been working on my projects and I am so excited to finally reveal my entry for the week one theme: Accessories.  Here's what I submitted...

For those of you who are familiar with my blog, you know that my specialty is furniture makeovers.  When challenged to create an accessory, I wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go, so I did what I know.  Why not take a piece of furniture and turn it into an accessory?  In this case, I took a $1.00 auction headboard, cut the legs off and turned it into a sign for over my mantle.
The headboard was painted a cream color, but I could tell from the back that it was a beautiful wood.  I stripped off the paint, leaving some on the edges to add to the weathered look I wanted.  Using my opaque projector and text printed in a font I chose from MS Word, I used chalk to trace the lettering. 
I then painted in the letters in a cream acrylic paint and added a few flourishes.
To make the sign appear old, I sanded the letters and gouged them with a paint can opener.  I finished off the entire sign with a dark walnut stain and wipe-on poly.
The sign is a dramatic statement for my fireplace mantle and it only took a little creativity and under $3.00 in materials.  It is paired with a $12.00 thrift store bird cage, free concrete birds from a giveaway, and a homemade moss topiary in a $5.00 thrift store tureen.

So, make sure you visit SYTYCD to check out all of the other entries and don't forget to vote!  Now, I'm not saying don't forget to vote for me...I'm saying don't forget to vote for your favorite.  I am competing against some of my good blog buddies, so I'm rooting for them, too!

Make sure you enter my 1000 follower giveaway for a hand painted "antique" grain sack. 

Miss Mustard Seed

PS - I had a question about the font I used, so I thought I would share.  It's Old English Text MT from Microsoft Word.

I'm posting this to DIY Day at ASPTL.