Design Consultations & Design Star

I get a lot of e-mail with design or technical questions about furniture or room makeovers and have even had a few people suggest I offer design consultations.  I have thought about it, but I really felt like I work best when I can physically feel a space, but maybe I'm wrong. 
Wanna be my guinea pig?  I am offering a free full room consultation for one of my readers, so I can test some things out.  I have no idea what the consultation will look like, but we'll find out together.  I promise that I will give your room a lot of attention and thought. 

So, if you're interested, simply leave a comment letting me know which room you need some help with and what the main challege is.  If I choose your room, you will have to provide pictures, measurements, what you have to work with, and what your skills and budget are.  You will also need to answer some questions about your style and space, so I can put together a design that will fit you, your family, and your budget.

Fun, fun, fun.


So, onto the next thing on my mind.  I think we've all had that thought...wouldn't it be fun to have your own design show?  Come on...we've all explained to an imaginary camera why we're pin-fitting a chair with a drop cloth, right?  Am I alone in this?  Anyway, when it comes down to it, I do not have any desire to have my own show, but it's still fun to dream about.  Well, I think this season of Design Star has totally squashed any joy in even dreaming about the prospect. 

Have you been watching?

The amazing Candace Olsen, who can do no wrong when it comes to interior design, has openly made fun of some of the designs on the show.  Wouldn't you just die?  The usually sweet and friendly Vern Yip, from Trading Spaces and Deserving Design, comes off as unnecessarily mean to the contestants, especially to those who were voicing their concerns about their team dynamic in the guy/girl challenge.  There was one designer with...let's just say a very strong personality.  She basically pancaked anyone who got in her way and celebrated it. 

Now, I understand that you need to have a thick skin in certain fields and any profession in the arts requires that.  That said, I was really disappointed when the judges said that interpersonal skills did not play into this competition at all.  Excuse me?  You're going to send someone with a steam roller personality into the homes of HGTV viewers to makeover their rooms?  I think it's foolish to dismiss the fact that someone cannot work well in a team, while actually encouraging the other designers to dish it out.  That may make for dramatic television, but who wants to work with a jerk? 

I saw that these contestants are not only asked to show their design talent, but they are also expected to be petty, rude, back-biting, and pushy. No thanks.  I'll just stick with writing a blog and I'll daydream about something else. 

What have you thought of the show so far?  Would you want to compete?

Miss Mustard Seed