mom crafts, tile and dresser modifications

This post is a this'n'that kind of post.  As usual, I have a lot of things going on at one time.  My latest round of HGTV.com projects were just published.  I came up with three projects that kids can do for mother's day...



(My husband says the silhouette of my son on the right looks like ET.  I'd say something sarcastic in my defense, but it kinda does!)





I know most of you are moms, so you don't want to make crafts for yourself on your special day, but you can send a link along to your hubby to give him a hint.  I love how the silhouettes turned out and hung them in our home office.  Even ET. 

I bet when you saw the word "tile" in the title of this post, you knew I was either...

A. Really excited because my tile was finally affixed to my bathroom floor.

OR

B. I was in the fetal position, rocking, eating chocolate and crying softly to myself. 

Thankfully, the answer is A. 


Can you hear the choir of angels?  It's glorious and well worth the wait and the tears and the chocolate eating. 


They're going to grout it tomorrow and we'll be able to make some more progress. 

I'm also working on my newest dresser for Lucketts today.  I've been stalling on it, because it had an attached mirror.  Dressers with mirrors are pretty, but they don't sell as well as ones without mirrors.  I guess they're more versitile.  Normally I can just remove the mirror, but on this dresser, there would be a one-inch gap on the back of the top without the mirror harp in place. 

I was going to have my husband make a decorative back piece for it, but then I realized I could just modify the harp to make it work. 

I started off by removing all of the screws that held the bottom together and to the dresser.


I then pryed the back piece off.  It had been glued down, so it took a little bit of muscle. 


There was one last screw under the piece I pryed up, so I removed that.


Unfortunately, the upright pieces were glued to the base and they weren't going to budge.  I called on my husband to cut them off using his table saw.


He had to be a little creative during this part, but he was able to get it detached.  It goes without saying that you should use extreme caution when working with power tools...especially saws and other sharp objects.  Just be smart and wear safety gear.


I then attached the base of the harp back onto the dresser, now mirror-free. 


(Sorry these pictures aren't the greatest.  They're taken in my workshop and I was too hurried to get my tripod.)

I'm painting the dresser in one of the new colors introduced by Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint, Aubusson Blue.  It's a gorgeous color.  Sort of a mix between cornflower and teal (although it looks more teal in this picture.)  It's really pretty. 


I'll reveal the dresser in a few days. 

One last thing, since this post is a little random anyway...my good friend Karen, aka The Graphics Fairy, just launched two new sites! 


and


These sites showcase the wonderful craft and DIY/Home Decor projects people make using her FREE graphics.  If you've made projects using her graphics, make sure you submit them to be featured.