Beneath My Heart Guest Post

At Blissdom in January, I met one of the coolest ladies I know...Traci from Beneath My Heart.  She comes from Kentucky, the state where I was born.  She sounds like it, though, and I don't.  She became "home base" for me during the conference.  If ever I found myself alone, I would call Traci to find out where she was, so I could join her.  Traci and her sister even gave me a ride to the airport when it was all over. 

In addition to being a really nice person, Traci is very talented when it comes to budget makeovers AND she gets it all done in a house of boys.  Not sure how she swings it, but she does...and her hair always looks perfect doing it. 

With all of that said, it is my pleasure to have Traci here today.  She's the kind of person (and blogger) I want to support.  Here she is...

Hello!  I am so very excited to be here today!!  My name is Traci, and I blog at Beneath My Heart!

beneath my heart

I have been blogging a little over two years, and Marian was one of my first blog friends.
I have absolutely adored her style and talent from the first time I visited her blog.
(I’m thinking about claiming that I “discovered” her. Whadaya think?)
I share the same passion for furniture makeovers as Marian.
Just wish I had the same talent. (Hee. Hee.)

I was so glad to finally meet her in person at Blissdom! She is such a doll, and I knew she would be. She is one of the many blessings I have received since I’ve started blogging!


Marian has graciously allowed me to share some projects I have completed on my blog with you today.
The first project is one that I just recently completed for this guest post.
Since Marian is the Queen of Slipcovers, I thought I would share with you my slipcovered office chair.
I scored this heavy duty office chair at Goodwill for $12.50!!


The chair was actually in excellent condition except for some tears in the leather on the arms of the chair.
The color of the leather was a little orangier (is that a word?) than I wanted for my office.
I decided to paint the legs and arms black, and make a slipcover for the rest of the chair using a white canvas material.
When I make a slipcover, I like to pin the material to the chair and use a pencil to draw a line where the seam is on the chair.
Here is the material pinned to the back of the chair:

I drew the seam line then cut about a half inch below the line. (Do NOT cut on the pencil line!)


I followed this same process over each section of the chair. Then I just sewed the sections together on the seam line, sometimes adding cording where needed.
It took some time and patience to figure out how to slipcover around those arms, but I finally did it.
I added velcro under the arms and velcro at each pleat on the corners of the chair to hold the slipcover in place.


And now I can enjoy my new office chair!


I like to sit in my comfy chair and read my favorite blogs!
What’s that on my computer screen?
Oh, could it be my favorite blog?
Why yes! It’s Miss Mustard Seed!


I wanna be just like Marian when I grow up! :)
(Oh shoot! She’s younger than me!)
Well, a girl can dream…


I will be sharing the full tutorial of how I made this slipcover on my blog soon (along with some videos.)
Now, I want to quickly show you a few other favorite projects from my blog.
(You can view each project by clicking on the highlighted text.)
One of my favorites is my Burlap Beauty!
I bought this chair at Goodwill for $6.50, and now she looks like a million bucks!


I also loved taking our awkward corner tv cabinet and turning it into a Ballard Designs’ style hutch by cutting off the triangular backside and adding a bead board backing.


Inspired by Marian to paint something blue, I took a small table that I didn’t really like and turned it into a little gem that I love!


I made this headboard into a towel rack for our guest house bathroom.


I would love for you to come take a tour of my guest house. My husband and I built it ourselves and decorated it very frugally. It has been so much fun!

And if you love room makeovers, then please stop by and check out some of these.






We just sold our home and will be buying a new one soon. I’m sure I will have a lot of new projects and makeovers to complete, and I cannot wait!!
I would love for you to come join me!

beneath my heart


Thank you, Marian, for letting me hang out on your awesome blog today.
You are the best!
Have a blessed day!

I love her guest house.  I'm going to stay there one day.  Thanks so much, Traci, for sharing those amazing transformations.  You are brimming with talent. 

I'm not sure you can claim that you discovered me.  Donna might fight with you on that one!