New Uses For An Old Thing

I purchased a commercial baker's four loaf pan at a yard sale for $2.50 last summer.  It sat in my basement stash for a long time...forgotten.  I was digging through the pile a few weeks ago and found this piece again.  It was like Christmas!  So, what do you do with a rusty loaf pan?  I'm not going to bake with it.  It also would take two people to get it out of the oven!  This sucker is heavy.  Knowing it would never hold hot loaves again, I thought of a few new uses for it. 

New Use # 1:

A unique buffet server.  This is the perfect shape and size to hold napkins, flatware, and condiments. 
I can never resist an opportunity to showcase my Bakelite set and linen napkins. 
I love the soft, crisp look of the linen against the rust and metal.  I did spray the loaf pan with a coat of satin polyurethane to protect anything I put in it.
I think this would also look great in the center of a family style dinner table.

New Use #2

Game night!  Gather your games, snacks and score cards and put this display on the coffee table to encourage play time. 
All of the vintage game pieces are from my grandparent's attic, but I bet you can find some old dominoes, Scrabble pieces, and dice at yard sales, auctions and flea markets. 

I love these custom vintage napkins that belonged to my namesake and grandmother.


Use #3

Place it on a desk to display family photos, hold your mail and sort your bills.  The picture of the girl who looks like Shirley Temple is my grandmother. 

Recycling isn't all about cardboard, glass and plastic.  It's about finding new uses for things that have life left in them, but may not be good for their intended purpose.  Look at old things in new ways and you may end up with something surprising and unique.

Miss Mustard Seed

I posted this to SNS at Funky Junk Interiors.