Gorgeous Glass Canisters - Tutorial

I'm linking this up to Flea Market Trixie's  modeling paste challenge. 
If you have not read it, yet, make sure you check out my Workshop Series guest post by Maria from Dreamy Whites. She shares all of her secrets about making whites beautiful and liveable.


I've been seeing chalkboard paint used to label glass canisters all over the blog world. It's a great idea, but I felt like it looked like a square of chalkboard paint that was painted on a glass canister. I wanted something more...

I got this classic stencil and textured product from DecoArt and thought it would be a perfect way to frame the chalkboard paint.  Here's what you'll need and how to do it.
Supplies
Chalkboard Paint
DecoArt Thick Texture
DecoArt Tin Ceiling Texture Stencil
Sponge brush
Small pallet knife
(A bottle of white paint is pictured, but I ended up not needing it)

First, measure the stencil, so you can make your square of chalkboard the same size.
Clean the area you are painting.  Then measure and tape off the area you want to paint.  After the first coat of chalkboard paint, remove the tape while the paint is wet and apply new tape for the second coat.  Paint and glass are not the best of friends, so the tape will pull off the paint if you leave it there.
Allow the chalkboard paint to dry for several hours or overnight.  Line the stencil up over the chalkboard and tape it in place.  Apply a thin coat of the DecoArt texture with the pallet knife.  If you're using the stencil repeatedly, rinse it between uses. 
 This stuff is really cool and it's paintable once it dries.  It has an interesting texture and there are endless possibilities with it. 
 It adds a great texture and design that frames out the chalkboard perfectly.
This was a total experiment, but I love how it turned out.
What do you think?

Voting for So You Think You Can Decorate is open through Friday at midnight.  You can check out my entry, a Resotration Hardware Paris address pillow, here.  Also, come back for Furniture Feature Friday!

Miss Mustard Seed

How cool is this...  I got a comment from Tracy Moreau, the designed of the stencil used in this project.  Here's what she said, "I Love this idea! What a great use of the Textures and My Stencils!!And Decoart now makes A waterbased Chalkboard paint !! Now I have to go Junking.. and find some of those canisters!! Great Inspiration!"