a dresser, a story and a decision

I find my furniture all over the place.  Yard sales, consignment shops, auctions, estate sales, curbs, thrift stores, friends, family, antique stores...  This one was found on Craig's List. 


It looked like this when I picked it up.  The shape is gorgeous, but the peeling veneer and missing details had the old girl showing her age. 


Instead of trying to repair and hide all of the quirks, I decided to celebrate them.  This is an old dresser and it doesn't need to look new. 


A heavily distressed paint camouflaged all of the imperfections and played up the texture of the piece.


I really love how this one turned out.  One of my favorites and I really, really wanted to keep it, but it went to Lucketts.  That seems to be a theme with me, lately.


A funny story about this dresser...I drove out to pick it up along with another one from the same gentleman.  When I arrived, we went to his garage and he explained to me that his sons used these dressers through college and now they were no longer needed.  I was surprised they looked as good as they did for living through college with boys.  I started checking out the drawers.  I always make sure they work or can easily be repaired.  Well, the top right drawer was wonky.  It wouldn't go in all the way and it was getting caught when I tried to pull it out.  Hm.  The gentleman started fidgeting with it.  He pulled out the drawer and reached his hand back into the recess.  "Um...oh...I'm not sure...what is...stuck...oh no."  He found the culprit.  He pulled out a bra.  He looked over at his son and threw it at him.  The son gave a sheepish smile. Busted!  I couldn't help, but laugh.  Well, now that the drawer doesn't have a bra stuck under, it works swell.  

Now, I have to make a decision.  It's going to be a last minute one.  I need to decide if I'm going to take this table to Lucketts today.  I sold two dressers yesterday and I need to bring a new piece.  The bird's eye maple dresser needs a bit more repair work on the drawers, so I can't bring that one until next week.  The problem is, I really like this table and I really like it in my living room.  It's kinda too big for the space, though.   


My rule is, if I don't have the perfect spot for something, I can't keep it.  I hate that rule today. 


Me and my silly rules.  Stupid rules, really.  Aren't rules meant to be broken? 

Decisions, decisions...