Color Inspiration

I have been a little stuck with a few rooms in my home.  A kitchen and family room makeover will be happening in a few months and I really want to get our master bedroom finished.  While I know the overall look I want, I've felt a little stuck on the details.  I just know I want things different.  These rooms are all a part of an addition that was put on our 1940's home about nine years ago.  The kitchen has awesome storage and a great floor plan, but the finishes aren't to my liking.  Green laminate counters, maple cabinetry and linoleum floors are not what I would've picked out.  The family room is a little awkward, but it's a large room and we have plans to make the layout work.  It involves demolishing an ugly fireplace and putting up built-ins to house a flat screen TV in its place. 

The master bedroom has been the real issue.  With only one window, the room is dark.  It's long and narrow with too many poorly placed doors and it's just not an easy room to deal with.  I have also painted it six times...I think because I keep hoping a beautiful color will make me love it.  Well, it's about to be painted a seventh time and I'm going to make another push to create a space I really like.  Honestly, the laundry baskets that are almost permanently on the floor and the perpetually unmade bed are a part of the problem, but I might have more motivation if I was smitten with the space. 

We have plans for the kitchen that include new counters, appliances and hardwood flooring.  Hardwood floors would also extend into the family room and master bedroom.  I think getting rid of the neutral (and somewhat spotted) carpet will make a huge difference.  I'd also like to add architectural details to the spaces that will tie them into the old part of the house a bit better. 

All of these plans take a budget...which we don't have at the moment, but one thing I can do is paint, so I've started looking for colors that would inspired.

My friend Stephanie from Cre8tive Designs Inc. sent me a link to a blog last week, assuring me I would love it.  Well, she was right.  She hit the nail on the head.  The blog she sent me was For the Love of a House written by Joan.  The home is stunning and just my taste.  Sort of a more refined, higher end version of my taste.  As soon as I saw the picture of her dining room, I knew that color was going in my house. 


The color is called Halo by Benjamin Moore.  Sigh.  Isn't it lovely?  I bought a sample of it a couple of days ago and it actually looks white in the can, but once it's on the wall it's a subtle color.  A "whisper" of a color, as Joan says.  This color is going into my bedroom, which is currently SW Irish Cream.  It's a nice color, but it's a bit too...well, creamy for my taste.  It's just not looking as fresh as I want, so Halo it is.  Seventh time is a charm...I'm sure of it. 


Joan uses the color Grey Owl by Benjamin Moore in her kitchen and that's what I'm going to do as well.  My kitchen and family room are one room, so this is a great neutral backdrop for the blues and greys I want to use with pops of red and grass green.  



Head to For the Love of a House for some amazing subtle paint colors and inspirational design choices.  You will love it there...as I did. 

The bathroom tile is going in on Tuesday.  Please pray it does or you may find me in a straight jacket. 


All photos used in this post are from For the Love of a House.  Thanks so much, Joan, for sharing your beautiful home with us.