one of the secrets to great photography


The clock ticked past 9:00 tonight and I still had no idea what I was going to post about.  It was one of those days when I work on things that are very uninteresting.  I primed the baseboard heaters in my family room and the under side of my kitchen cabinets.  Bo-ring.  I was about ready to get my camera out and snap a "before" picture of my heaters, but that seemed a little silly...even in the blog world.  I have finished three pieces of furniture, but I have to lug them into the house for their "beauty shots" and that just wasn't going to happen today.  So, here I am...late into the evening and dry on material. 


I started looking through my old photographs for some inspiration.  As I scrolled through some I took over a year ago, it hit me.  I knew what I wanted to post about. 




When I take pictures now, like the one above, I use a tripod.  What I learned is that even the slightest bit of a shake can make a picture blurry.  The picture below was taken over a year ago.  Even though I had a tripod, I was too lazy to use it.  I would just lean against the door frame or hold my breath or some other nonsense.   




Now, look at a picture below that I took recently using a tripod.  Not only is the exposure better, but the picture is sharper.  I reached a point when I realized that I just needed to get off my duff, get the tripod out of the closet and have a proper photo shoot. 




What a tripod allows for is a slower shutter speed.  A slower shutter speed means the "window" of the camera is open longer and lets in more light.  That means you can take a picture on a dark, cloudy day and it'll look sunny and bright.  It means a lot for interior photography. 

If you don't have a tripod, get one.  You can get one starting at around $15 and it's worth every penny you will spend on it.  I now haul mine with me everywhere.  It's a little silly, but I've learned what a valuable tool it is and I don't want to be caught without it. 

In other news, my friend Donna is writing a series on turning your blog into a business and asked for my thoughts on writing for magazines and websites.  If you're interested in what we had to say on the subject, you should read her post on Submitting work for websites and magazines