Adam King's post on studio furniture

Warning: rant ahead!

This is a great post by Adam King on a topic I love to discuss. (Look forward to a Furniture I Love post on Adam's work soon.) I'm amazed at how many people don't realize that there are people actually making furniture by hand. It seems like they think it magically shows up at Target or Crate & Barrel and that's all that is available. Part of what furniture makers need to do is educate consumers that handmade furniture exists in the first place and that it is worth purchasing. That's part of what I'm trying to do with Furnitude.

It always annoys me when I hear in advertisements for Room & Board that their furniture is "hand-crafted." Really? That's impossible. Yes, people make the parts of the furniture and people assemble the furniture. But that's different than someone making pieces of furniture one at a time (or in small batches). I'm not passing judgement on Room & Board's furniture and certainly not on the people that make it. I actually think they have some cool stuff. I just wish they wouldn't say it's hand-crafted.

Adam addresses the topic far more eloquently than I do, so have a look at his post and his other articles. You can find him at www.adamkingstudio.com.

Ok, rant over.